Our Commitment to Responsible Care
Responsible Care® is a successful industry initiative to improve public dialogue and company safety and environmental performance. From its beginnings in Canada in 1985, the initiative is practiced today by 57 national and regional associations in 65 economies around the world. Since its inception in the United States in 1988, Responsible Care companies have reduced air emissions by 70 percent, and their collective worker safety record is four times better than the average of the U.S. manufacturing sector. TotalEnergies Petrochemicals & Refining USA, Inc. is a charter member of the U.S. Responsible Care initiative.
Our petrochemicals manufacturing facilities, the Research and Development Center, and the Corporate Office are Responsible Care facilities, and they are governed by a set of practices and codes of conduct incorporated into a single integrated management system.
Participation in Responsible Care is mandatory for ACC member companies, all of which have made CEO-level commitments to uphold the following program elements, which are the pillars of the Responsible Care program:
- Implement the Responsible Care Security Code, Product Safety Code, and Process Safety Code
- Gain third-party verification of implementation of a Responsible Care management system
- Measuring and publicly reporting performance, using the Responsible Care Performance Measures
- Applying the modern Responsible Care Management System to achieve and verify result
- Document Executive commitment to the Guiding Principles of Responsible Care.
As a Responsible Care company, TotalEnergies Petrochemicals & Refining USA pledges to continually improve its health, safety, environmental, and security performance, and to share information on its performance with the public. Through the Responsible Care performance website, TotalEnergies Petrochemicals & Refining USA joins other ACC members in making available the most performance information of any private sector group in the country.
Specifically, for TotalEnergies Petrochemicals & Refining USA, Responsible Care is:
- Emergency planning and dialogue with local communities
- Pollution prevention, including safe management and reduction of waste
- Process safety
- Reduction of risks in transportation, storage, and handling of chemicals
- Protection of employee health and safety
- Safety in the design, manufacture, marketing, distribution and use of our products
- Security of people, property, products, process, information, and information systems
As part of Responsible Care, TotalEnergies Petrochemicals & Refining USA maintains an active product stewardship program for its products, including Product Summaries and handing/safe use information.
The TotalEnergies Petrochemicals & Refining USA Health, Safety and Environmental Policy supports all of the information provided above, and provides the framework for implementation of and compliance with the provisions of a Responsible Care Management System.